Let’s jump right in, why are evangelicals silent about the beheading of 21 Coptic Christians? Or for that matter, any of the 1000s of Coptics killed for decades?
Some background, conservative pro-Christian media is usually very fast to promote news that makes evangelicals (that’s not the same as all Christians as they think they’re right & all other Christian sects are wrong, basically) look good. This time, their universe is silent. Here’s why:
- Egyptians are all Arab and Muslim, right? what’s the difference anyways?
- They’re dark so they’re not like us. We can’t care.
- We’re comfortable in suburbia and that’s just too far.
- Isn’t it normal in that part of the world?
- Isn’t Libya also bad? Where’s Libya?
Extremist Christians are bad because religious extremism is the root of this whole problem. Using Christian extremism won’t solve the Muslim extremism.
I thought about doing this article as a split column with my reaction on the right, but likely your reactions to the Christians cited above is the same as mine. Explanations would kill the sarcastic joke.