Editor’s Note: The below is from our friends at the AALDEF in NYC.
The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) is a 38-year old New York-based national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, advocacy and community education. AALDEF has a 21-person staff and is supported by foundation and corporate grants, individual contributions, and special events. For more information about AALDEF and its activities, visit our website at http://www.aaldef.org.
AALDEF’s Anti-Trafficking Initiative provides legal assistance to trafficked Asian women and girls by giving immigration assistance, engaging in criminal justice advocacy, and filing civil actions pursuant to the Trafficking Victims Protection Act.
The Community Organizer will be involved in the following activities:
- Work with attorneys to enforce the rights of human trafficking survivors, and coordinate with case managers to secure a broad range of services;
- Develop and conduct community education trainings for workers’ organizations and groups, present at panel discussions and conferences;
- Interpret for intakes and client representation, and proofread translations.
- Participate in local and national anti-trafficking networks, and organize briefings on proposed federal, state, and local policies affecting trafficked persons;
- Detail-oriented, independent, and focused.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in community organizing or policy advocacy.
- Knowledge of human trafficking, labor and employment rights, and human rights issues.
- Familiarity with Asian American community issues preferred.
- Ability to speak an Asian language.
- Ability to travel and work on evenings and weekends.
Send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to:
Community Organizer Search
99 Hudson St Fl 12
New York, NY 10013-2815
Email: (put “Anti-Trafficking Initiative” in the subject line)
DEADLINE: August 31, 2012. Applications will be read on a continuing basis and the position will be filled as soon as possible.
For more information, contact Ivy O. Suriyopas at 212-966-5932 or .
–AALDEF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer–